A few Tiny Fixers and other Rad Bike Chicks went on a nice little bike camping trip last weekend. It was super fun! We wanted to share the wisdom we gained from our adventure, so here goes:
1. Have the right bike. It can be a single speed or geared bike or even a fixie, but generally we’d recommend something with geometry good for long distances and that can accommodate a rack and panniers.
2. Be prepared for weather being weird. Check the forecast often, and make sure you know how cold 50 degree lows overnight in a tent feels even if it’s late July and there’s no way it should be that cold.
3. Know how to set up your tent.
4. Bungee cords: a touring biker’s best friend.
5. Make fire. Cook things over it. Use peanut butter cups instead of plain chocolate in your s’mores. Die of happiness.
6. Don’t go back to the CVS near your campground for a second booze run. You really don’t need more booze.
7. Eat pizza (Or any real food that isn’t granola bars or trail mix. But mostly pizza.) at every opportunity.
8. Take pictures, but also stop taking pictures and enjoy life.
9. Have fun!